Langeron is historically the first of the beaches of Odessa. In those days, when the Maliy and Bolshoy Fountains were still not quite developed, as well as recreational Arcadia did not exist, Langeron had already attracted lovers of the sea and sun. The closest to the center of the city, it became the center of the villa and beach life, a place of exquisite festivals and nightly entertainment…
A BIT OF HISTORY…
First of all, we would remind you that Langeron is not only the beach, but also a person. Count Alexander Louis Andre de Langeron, a Frenchman, one of the first city governors of Odessa and governor-generals, maybe is not as famous as his colleagues Richelieu, Deribas or Vorontsov, but also was an original man and left his mark in city history. It was under his governing that Odessa received the status of free port, and the famous Richelieu Lyceum was opened. Langeron maintained friendly relations with Pushkin and is said to have bothered the famous poet, reading aloud his own poems and plays.
The Count also had a summer residence by the sea, just outside the fortress, where later here was laid out the Aleksandrovskiy park (Shevchenko Park). Here he was visited by Pushkin, as well as balls and festivities for the aristocratic and wealthy merchants were held here. Orchestra was playing, the luxurious fireworks were arranged. From the Cottage now remains only a beautiful arch of 6 bays, with the inscription “Langeron” (located in the descent to the beach, behind a parking lot). The arch was built in 1830, a year before the death of the Count. Langeron bequeathed his cottage to the city, with the condition of arrangement of the first city public beach. For some time Odessans through inertia called these places “summer residence of Langeron”, then simply – Langeron.
Before the tram was put, Langeron was the only popular area of beach life, and the first line of “tram” (horse-drawn railroad) was put here, too, from Rishelievskaya street through Aleksandrovskiy park (with travel cost – 5 kopeks). On the descent to the sea there was built “shell” for orchestra, later there appeared restaurants and summer houses, for rent. Mandatory attribute of the beaches were swimming baths, and eventually were constructed free-of-charge baths for the common people, that is the beach rest has become more democratic. From the guidebook of Odessa, dated 1912: “Urban swimming baths at Langeron are located beyond the port in the place that is considered to be the open sea with free surf waves. The bottom is a little rocky, but by the season it is successfully freed from the stones mechanically. Baths of class 1, 2, 3, and free-of-charge (folk), separately for men and women. There are showers. In the 1st class fee is 15 kopecks, in the 2nd – 10 kopecks, in 3 rd – 5 / 3 kop. – with / without storage of clothes”
Between the beach and the port in 1903 there was built a tower of rescue station (“Station to rescue drowning victims”), which can be seen today. In 1920, right at the entrance to the beach appeared steps an In those days beaches looked not like now, they were narrow and rocky.
For example, between Langeron and Maliy Fountain, a tourist attraction was a rock called “Monk” (resembling a silhouette of a monk in a hood-cowl). Another serious problem was the steep slopes, threatening mudslides. Large mudslides occurred in 1918 and 1953, when was shifted a two-kilometer layer from the Langeron right up to Kirpichniy Lane.
In the early 60’s there was made serious work: slopes were made flatter, breakwaters installed, beaches were markedly expanded. The Soviet epidemic of renaming, of course, did not spare Langeron – the beach was named “Komsomolskiy”, the inscription on the arch was attempted to be painted over. But Odessans still continued to call it the old way.
On the left (when facing the sea) Langeron is limited by the port (there is a stretch of beach without sand, only concrete slabs, respectively, always few vacationers). On the right Langeron is bordered by the following beach, which is Otrada. At the center, a year-round delphinarium “Nemo” is running, the largest in the CIS. In addition to bright shows (holiday’s, children’s and night romantic) with dolphins and sea lions, such services are available: swimming and photo sessions with these amazing sea creatures. There is a hotel near the dolphinarium.
Entrance to the beach itself, as to other ones, free of charge, but services are paid – beach chairs, umbrellas, showers. Along the sea there are cafes and restaurants with cuisine for all tastes, as well as mini-hotels, and nightclubs. There is a medical station and a police station there. In the summer of 2011 Langeron was named the best among the 11 beaches of Odessa (by the following criteria: availability of beach beds, bins, toilets, cabins and entertainment)